2001 Audi A2 1.2 tdi Auto, Island Green – 3L,Rare,Auto,UK Conversion,Belt Done
- Island Green
- Mileage 158,000
We have for sale a very rare Audi A2 1.2 tdi model, for sure a future classic? It was never officially imported to the UK as at the time there was not seen to be a sufficient market for them here. This example has covered 158,000 miles and has a UK MOT & V5 registration document. 1 owner had the vehicle for the majority of it’s life from new in 2001-2015! The car has been UK registered and the relevant modifications have been performed so that it is fully ready for UK use. This is the higher spec 1.2 variant, which includes climate control with AC, power steering and remote central locking. The standard “3L” version did not get these features. Beyond this, the car also has the optional Island Green paint and Twist interior, leather controls pack and the false floor in the boot.
All upgrades including BOSE & OEM Leather are available at a DISCOUNTED RATE to make this an extremely unique 1.2 3L!! Please call 01538 807 708 to discuss your individual requirements!
There are only a handful of the 1.2 A2 variants in the UK, and we believe other than ours’, these all to be privately imported. It is extremely rare for them to be offered for sale by VAG Specialists here in the UK.
We were lucky enough to pick this example up this summer, and it is now the 2nd 1.2 we have had the opportunity of owning. Although clearly cherished by the previous owner, the car had covered 158,000 miles and we felt would benefit from some TLC and preventative maintenance.
- Transmission work – the automatic transmissions used by the 1.2’s as detailed above have several components and seals that understandably wear and deteriorate with age. There were some signs of wear, so we undertook the renewal of several parts of the transmission. This included a new clutch actuator, accumulator and link rod, gear selector gasket kit and various other seals. The transmission has subsequently been re-calibrated – a check that is required at every service interval on the 1.2. The result is a lovely smooth progress through the gears.
- The Driver Information Screen had pixelated, a very common failure on the A2’s fitted with this useful option. A replacement screen was fitted.
- A UK dial set was fitted as per UK law, so that the speedo reads in Mph as well as Kmh. A very costly modification. The instrument cluster was also re-coded to the English language and imperial measurements.
- The timing belt kit and water pump were due so these were replaced along with a full vehicle service including all filters and fluids.
- The front brakes were renewed and the rear aluminium drums serviced.
The 1.2 has several features over and above the standard and already efficient A2 models:
- Automatic shift manual transmission with tiptronic and eco mode (includes over-run freewheel feature). Ie. No wet clutches, torque converters etc, which give the high parasitic losses of conventional automatics.
- “Eco” mode – when this button is pressed the car’s maximum power is limited to around 41bhp and the auto transmission is put in an eco-mode, involving engine speed limiting at gear change, resulting in the highest gear possible.
- Stop/Start feature!! One of the first production cars to feature stop start – when stationary at traffic lights etc, the engine will turn off and start again when you pull away.
- Magnesium, light weight 14” wheels with skinny tyres.
- Various aero dynamic modifications and weight saving options – reduced profile wheel arches, under body aero kit, larger rear spoiler & wheel covers, aluminium suspension castings and aluminium rear drums.
The 1.2 tdi A2 is quite simply an engineering master piece with a Cd of just 0.25! Still remarkable – and a reduced frontal area beyond this (slimmed wheel arches). It is known as the “3L car” as it was the first to hit the industry node of 3li of fuel per 100km (94.2mpg)!!! For all of its impressive economy it should be noted that it is no slouch – its light weight construction, superior aero dynamics and transmission gearing all make the car a joy to drive. Being a regular driver of the 1.4 tdi I can say that its performance is not too dissimilar to that of the 1.2. Officially it has a top speed of 104mph, but in the real world drivers have often reported that these models have a top speed actually faster than the 1.4 tdi, mainly due to the different gearing. Along with free road tax, great reliability and excellent build quality you can see why they now make a lot of sense for the UK market. It is a born motorway cruiser, the high gear ratios make it eerily quiet when cruising at motorway speeds, and the automatic transmission makes easy work of it too.
Please note: The Audi A2 1.2 tdi LHD is registered and recognised by the UK insurance bureau so insurance is straight forward, please get in touch for more advice.
We are also including a spare magnesium wheel/tyre with the car something that none of them came with. Due to the small nature of the 1.2 wheels, it fits perfectly underneath the false floor in the boot of the A2.
As previously mentioned, the specification of this 1.2 is particularly rare with it having the climate control, power steering & central locking along with the Twist interior, leather controls pack and the lovely Island Green.
We feel this is a great opportunity to purchase an extremely economical, collectable A2 1.2 tdi that is ready to go for UK use. We stock many A2’s at any one time so please get in contact if you would like more info on others we have available presently.
Part exchanges and credit card payments are welcome. Viewings and test drives are possible 7 days a week, day or evening with prior arrangement. We can also supply a full detailed walk around video and we offer nationwide delivery.
We are also able to offer specialist service packages for this vehicle.
We are VW Audi Specialists based in Staffordshire and are particularly fond of the A2. We run them ourselves and have retailed 25+ in the last 12 months; we carry several in stock at any one time. If you have any questions regarding this very special A2 we are happy to discuss. Please message us or phone 01538 807 708.Need more information?Call 01538 807708
LATEST CARS FROM THE SHOWROOM